From the kitchen of Ann Marie Barkwell. This cake
frosting is from my 1974 Betty Crocker Cookbook.
In a mixer, beat:
5 Tbsp butter or margarine, softened
3 c confectioner sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp milk
Add milk slowly until it's smooth & spreading
Fills & frosts 2 9" layers or a 13x9 cake.
- Browned Butter Frosting: same as above,
except heat butter in saucepan over medium
heat until a delicate brown.
- Cherry Butter Frosting: add 2 Tbsp drained
chopped maraschino cherries & 2 drops red
- Orange Butter Frosting: omit vanilla, sub
orange juice for the milk, add 2 tsp grated
- Lemon Butter Frosting: omit vanilla, sub lemon
juice for the milk, add 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel.
- Peanut Butter Frosting: sub peanut butter for
the butter, increase milk to 1/4 to 1/3 cup.
Ann Marie Barkwell
Follow me on
Family Recipes and more